Monday, October 25, 2010

Be careful what you wish for! (Blueberry Muffins)

Few days ago, I stated that I love rain. I still stand by that statement, as long as it doesn't rain indoors.
We were waterproofing the roof and done some other works, ready for the raining season, however, the rain found a way to creep up from other unexpected places.
So, I'm sleeping nicely last night, thunders, lightening bolts and all the trimmings, but ultimately, I had to face the music of mopping endless buckets of water in the bedroom and the ground floor as they were quite flooded this morning.
Finally, after drying the floors (thank goodness, no carpets or parquet flooring, just plain old ceramic tiles), I went to the charity shop to drop off some donations and in the process got ingredients for blueberry muffins. Of course, that was premeditated!
I need to make clear that this is not my own recipe. The original recipe is found on Joy of Baking.com and the author of the recipe is Gail Sher. ("From a Baker's Kitchen". Aris Books. Berkeley: 1984).
However, I had made little change and instead of using white, I used brown sugar.
So, here's the original recipe as written by Gail Sher:



Blueberry Muffins:

240 ml. plain yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
60 ml. corn or canola oil (I used sunflower oil)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
260 grams all purpose flour
100 grams granulated white sugar (I used 80 grams brown sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
100 grams fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Position rack in center of oven. Butter or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the yogurt, lightly beaten egg, oil, and vanilla extract.

In another large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Remove 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients and toss it with the blueberries. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Gently stir in the blueberries. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.

Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Makes 12 muffins.













No comments:

Post a Comment