Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sütlaç (or that's rice pudding for you and me, darlin')


For the past week I got craving for anything dairy. I like dairy, mind you, but I just couldn't get enough for the past 7 days.
And then it dawned on me that I don't have just to gulp all the milk, kefir and yogurt that I can lay my grubby paws on, so it was rice pudding time!
I believe that every household have their favorite recipe and method for making S
ütlaç, but I like mine the most :) Especially doused with some cinnamon and sometimes bitter cocoa powder. There are no strict rules for following in my recipe, it is really simple, heartwarming and really, really tasty. It is important however, to use the same cup for measuring the ingredients. ( E.g. You don't need 200 grams of rice, the cup capacity is 200 ml)

Here we go:


For 4 persons you will need:
1 cup (of 200 ml) uncooked sushi rice (or any starchy short grain rice will do)
1 1/2 cups (of 200 ml) water

3 cups (of 200 ml) milk
3 tablespoons caster sugar

1 teaspoon cooking oil, NOT olive oil.


Method:

Wash the rice under running water and put into pan. Add the water, milk, sugar and oil and start stirring. Cook on low/medium fire until the desired consistency is reached and about 3/4 of the liquid is absorbed.
I like my rice pudding a little bit on the runny side, so when I see that the rice is al dente, I turn off the fire and cover the pot. Enjoy sprinkled with some cinnamon, cocoa powder, or you can add teaspoon of rose water if you wish.




No comments:

Post a Comment