Monday, June 11, 2012

Microwave made Strawberry jam

Sometimes I wonder if it's 'old' age catching up with me or it is simply the fact that I have too many things, that I'm getting forgetful. Scary thought, either way.
So, I'm rummaging through the fridge and searching for that blasted piece of cheese that I know I have and it pops out a whole box of strawberries! I had forgotten that I bought them!


I don't like wasting food, so I decided to see what can be saved. Out of 600 grams of strawberries, I managed to come up with 400 grams of a bit sad strawberries, but I wasn't in the mood to eat them. Looking through some magazines, I came upon a recipe for strawberry jam made in a microwave oven. Well, it was time to try it. I adjusted the quantities and I came up with a full jar and 2 teaspoons of pure delight.


Ingredients:


400 grams of strawberries
55 ml lemon juice
300 grams jam sugar (or caster sugar)


Method:


Put the strawberries into a deep dish and put them in the microwave on high setting for 4 minutes. Remove them and add the sugar and the lemon juice. Make sure that the dish is really DEEP, as the melting sugar and the juices will rise.
Set the microwave oven to high and the timer to 20 minutes.
Voila! You've got yourself a strawberry jam! Pour into a sterilized jar, seal and let it cool completely. Refrigerate after it has cooled down. It won't last ages, as it doesn't have preservatives, but that's good for you :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment