Thursday, May 10, 2012

Let them eat cake!

For a couple of years I have been hearing about this stunningly beautiful setting of a particular restaurant and a caffe. However, after looking at their price list, I won't be going there any time soon. I find the notion of paying € 6.00 for a slice of cake utterly ridiculous. No slice of cake is worth that much, even if the owner of the restaurant is of noble birth.
I don't really read newspapers, I admit, I only buy them on Sundays, and this past Sunday, there was lovely surprise in a form of a food magazine together with the newspaper.
Surprise, surprise, Baroness Muffy shared 3 of her cake recipes with everyone who bought the newspaper that day!
I told you that no cake is worth those 6.00. (Photo borrowed from Trip Advisor. Told y'all that I haven't been there).

So, I decided to try, guess which one of Muffy's cakes?! The Chocolate Layer Cake, of course!
Here's what you will need for about 8-12 slices, depending how big or huge you want to cut them.

Cake ingredients:
225 grams unsalted butter
225 grams caster sugar
4 eggs
175 grams self-raising flour
55 grams cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder

Buttercream frosting:
200 grams unsalted butter
350 grams icing sugar
150 grams dark chocolate

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a 20cm cake tin with a little butter and then baking parchment.
In a bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. 

Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder and fold into the butter mixture. Spoon into the baking tin and bake 45-50 minutes until soft and springy.
Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Slice the cake horizontally into 2 layers ready for frosting.

For the frosting:

Melt the chocolate over a pot of boiling water. Stir in the butter and allow to cool before adding the sugar. Stir occasionally until the mixture is a thick spreading consistency.
Use half of the mixture to spread on the base of one sponge and use the rest to cover and decorate the cake.


As you can see, I decided to add my own twist to the decoration and went little enthusiastic with the cream. The strawberries are there just because I think that there's nothing better than strawberries, chocolate and cream in one place :)
Although it is indeed a good cake, I repeat, one slice is not worth €6.00, considering that with that money you will gather the ingredients for the whole cake... and feed between 8-12 people with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment